Friday, April 3, 2015

A to Z Challenge: Comfort

Hey all! Before I start, just want to wish everyone who celebrates a blessed Easter and Pesach. 



So far, in my writing about Things Writers Should Know About Writing, I've been pretty doom and gloom about it all.

Far be it from me to seem like a one-trick pony.

No. Today I'm sharing one of my favorite things about writing.

At the start, everything is strange and new, but as we go on, the project we work on starts to feel a lot like a home away from home.

Okay. So... maybe you're writing a horror featuring a serial killer that's out to destroy your beloved home. In that case, I wish you all the best. I also hope that you've got a working arrangement with said serial killer so you two actually get along in some regard.

Otherwise your happy place might not be all that happy.

For me, though, there's this one world I've created for my first ever published book. Every time I return to it, it really feels a lot like going home. Needless to say, I think it's a WONDERFUL thing that this book was the first in a series.

I just really like that particular place in my head. It's just so comfy. That's not to say that everything is perfect in that world. No no. That would make things boring, but I love the place and its people. Warts and all.

And I think that this is (or at least should be) completely normal.

Do you also have a go-to happy place in your writing worlds? Or is it always the one in your current Work in Progress? 

12 comments:

  1. Byron's world has always been a place of comfort because it's been with me for so many years.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not thought about it that way before, but there are sme stories I just feel comfortable writing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's always my current WIP for me. I can go back and visit previous worlds, but as a holiday rather than a home. Interesting idea though.

    Annalisa, writing A-Z vignettes, at Wake Up, Eat, Write, Sleep

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for stopping by my Blog today. If CCR was a person they would be really conflicted inside but you can't fault the music. Despit their personal issues I do so love the music.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is an awesome way to think about your world. I feel like Sapphire's home is comfy for me, though she might disagree sometimes. I feel like it is a real place. That is a huge thing about writing, these worlds in your head are real to you, and hopefully your readers.

    ReplyDelete
  6. If I can't find a happy place today in my own writing, I have a number of books on my shelves that are old friends I can escape to anytime.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I really need to try fiction, if only for working on a happy place!

    ReplyDelete
  8. My "go to happy place" has always been something exploring the relationship between two characters. They could just be friends... I pop into the scene on them having an argument -.- sigh. Get along people! You all have to share the same headspace!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I know what you mean. It's a pleasure to spend time there and follow what your characters are up to. A good setting is like a character, with its own foibles and shortcomings.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have a few of those places. Not every book will capture me that way, but I love to go back often to those happy places.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I absolutely have a word I've created that feels like home. Good job putting it into words. I just stopped by from Blogging A to Z.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! I love to read what you think.

Feel free to ignore the check-box saying "Prove you're not a robot." My word verification is off, but I moderate comments to posts older than two weeks.