Friday, August 9, 2013

Meme Time!

Hi all!

Gwen Gardner nominated me to continue with this meme, so I decided I'd do so and see what you're up to. I'm supposed to nominate more people, but I'd much rather see your answers in the comments. So do me a favor and at least answer some of them?

1. What are you working on right now?
Since I finished drafting that sequel I mentioned in IWSG, I'm now rewriting a high concept urban fantasy. 

2. How does it differ from other works in its genre? 
It doesn't have humans, vamps, angels, demons, werewolves or fairies as main characters. 

3. What experiences have influenced you? 
Playing Assassin's Creed, actually. Weird, I know. 

4. Why do you write what you do?
I write whatever interests me. And these characters are danged interesting. 

5. How does your writing process work?
Rough draft by hand, rewrite to computer, revisions and edits (many many times)

6. What is the hardest part about writing?
For me, it's either discovering my direction while drafting, or keeping my interest alive while rewriting. Guess it depends on what I'm doing at the time. I always long to do anything except what I'm doing right now. 

7. What would you like to try as a writer that you haven't yet?
Well... Uhm... See... I wanted to say write a mystery, but I did that as a short story. So I guess I'll say write a mystery novel...

8. Who are the authors you most admire?
Right now, Robert Galbraith J.K. Rowling. 

9. What scares you? 
My biggest fear at the moment is that Doorways won't interest readers. I wish I could say it's irrational and unfounded, but it wouldn't be the first time that a well-conceived and edited book went largely ignored. 

Can't wait to read your answers! 

In the meantime, I just have two things I want to remind everyone of. 1) If you have a crazy/important goal, you might want to check out my new bloghop. 2) Please please please don't forget to volunteer for the new Paying Forward Awards

12 comments:

  1. Christine Rains nominated me for this yesterday, it's really making the rounds. Your WIP sounds awesome, good luck with it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha I love J.K Rowling too! She's my favorite!

    Your WIP sounds awesome!
    Good luck with it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My process is like yours: rough draft by hand, then typing it out becomes the second draft, and many revisions follow. For NaNoWriMo 2008 (which I didn't complete), I tried pantsing it and just typing the first draft (and what else can you do with NaNo?). I felt a bit giddy/dizzy doing it that way, but I like what I came up with...now, to return to it and finish! Eventually. :-)
    Some Dark Romantic

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm a firm believer that there's an audience for every book. Here's hoping you'll find yours right out of the gate.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Have a happy weekend!

    Hugs and chocolate,
    Shelly

    ReplyDelete
  6. Interesting that your main characters aren't of the usual fare. Best of luck with your WIP and I'm a total pantser.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Being influenced by Assassin's Creed isn't weird. I play them all the time when I need to think.
    But finding a whole story whilst playing Overlord 2, now that's weird.

    ReplyDelete
  8. By hand? I have issues with my hands so I don't do anything with him that I can do on the computer but I have heard of a lot of writers who draft by hand.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I don't like my handwriting so other than notes I tend to go straight to laptop with my writing. Congrats on the award.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Really liking the sound of your WIP... best of luck in getting it polished.

    ReplyDelete
  11. The hardest part about writing, for me, is making the time. Sometimes I can find oodles of time and get tons done, and sometimes I'm barely making it, as is, so writing gets set by the wayside. My inspirational author would be Stephen King.

    Shannon at The Warrior Muse

    ReplyDelete
  12. I like the idea that Assassin's Creed inspired you.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! I love to read what you think.

Feel free to ignore the check-box saying "Prove you're not a robot." My word verification is off, but I moderate comments to posts older than two weeks.