Friday, April 27, 2012

A to Z Challenge: X Things to Remember

Today I'm just going to do ten things worth remembering in edits/revisions. Yes, I know. Genius use of the letter X.


Credit
i) Always take time away from your ms before starting an editing/revision round.
ii) Crit partners can be the difference between an okay ms and an excellent one.
iii) Parents, best friends and other family members are great for support, but not for critiquing.
iv) Edits/revisions are a lot of work, but are rewarding. But only if you remind yourself of this fact.
v) Know where the story is headed by revisions.
vi) Revise first, then edit, starting with the big things before going to the small.
vii) Make sure you keep the original of every edit round before you edit. If you don't like the new changes, you can track back.
viii) If your written words look like gibberish, it's time for a break.
ix) No matter what someone says in a crit, you know more about what's right for your story. Go with your gut.
x) Yes. Edits do come to an end. Promise.

What's your advice when it comes to edits?

13 comments:

  1. Enjoy the editing phase! (I do.)
    And I will fix some of the small stuff first. It tends to bother me (perfectionist) so once I get it out of the way, I can see the real problems.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great use of the X post! The gibberish thing really does happen - and I was only editing a novella! I hate the think what will happen when I have a full-length MS.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Flexibility but know where you're heading. Don't edit or let others critique you into a new story. As you said, go with your gut.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The editing phase is probably my favorite part of the process! So much so that I have make sure I don't do too much of it. Great tips, Misha!

    J.W.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for x :D I am currently revising/editing and it seems like there is simply no end to it :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. Some excellent points here. It took me a minute to work out why it was X though. Doh!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You know, I've been working on a book for some time now and this post made me smile. Especially when it comes to gibberish words and trusting your gut. I agree fully.

    ReplyDelete
  8. When in doubt, cut it out. When I'm not 100% sold on a word/sentence/scene, then it's no longer needed. Snip! Also, I like Stephen King's advice of cutting at least 10% of your ms. Getting to the point or action faster is often times better.

    ReplyDelete
  9. These are really terrific tips, some of which I've already been following. I'm not sure I quite grasp what you mean by #vi, though - would you please elaborate on the difference between "revising" and "editing"?

    Some Dark Romantic

    ReplyDelete
  10. Excellent tips, Misha. When it comes to editing, knowing when to stop is critical. I have sometimes edited a piece to the point that it died of dissection!

    ReplyDelete
  11. its a great guide for the first time writers.. i am looking for the verb descriptions... anyway nice blog

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! I love to read what you think.

Feel free to ignore the check-box saying "Prove you're not a robot." My word verification is off, but I moderate comments to posts older than two weeks.